- Open Access
Cytotoxic reactions of CC531s towards liver sinusoidal endothelial cells: a microscopical study
© Vekemans et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd 2004
- Published: 14 January 2004
- Propidium Iodide
- Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cell
- Colon Carcinoma Cell Line
- Fragmented Nucleus
- Time Lapse Video
Colorectal cancer cells can induce apoptosis in cells of various tissues . Apoptosis can be induced by a number of factors such as Fas inducing apoptosis through the Fas/FasL pathway; other factors involve the TRAIL pathway and TNF. It is known that metastasizing colon cancer cells express more FasL then primary carcinoma cells . We investigated whether a rat colon carcinoma cell line CC531s could induce apoptosis in liver sinusoidal endothelial cells (LSECs). LSECs and CC531s were co-cultured for 18 hrs and cells were visualized by SEM and TEM. Apoptosis was visualized by markers such as Hoechst and Propidium iodide. Furthermore, cells were recorded by time lapse video microscopy with and without an antagonistic antibody for FasL.
Animals, antibodies & reagents
Male Wistar rats (8–12 weeks old) were purchased at the Center of Laboratory Animals (Leuven, Belgium). Animals had free access to food and water. 3,3'-dioctadecyloxacarbocyanine perchlorate (DiO) (catalogue no. D-275), Hoechst 33342 (HO 33342) (Catalogue no. H-3570) and Propidium iodide (PI) (catalogue no. P-3566) were purchased at Molecular Probes (Leiden, The Netherlands). Anti-FasL blocking antibody, MFL-4, was obtained from BD Pharmingen (Erembodegem, Belgium, catalogue no. 555021).
Co-culture of CC531s cells and LSECs
LSECs were isolated , purified and seeded to confluence on collagen-S coated wells and RPMI- 1640 supplemented with 10% heat inactivated fetal calf serum (FCS), 2 mM L-glutamine, 100 U/ml penicillin and 100 micrograms/ml streptomycin. The cells were kept in culture for 4 hrs. Subsequently, cells were washed with prewarmed RPMI. CC531s cells were seeded on top of LSECs at a ratio of 1:10. In order to visualize apoptosis, cells were stained with Hoechst 33342 and propidium iodide . In order to discriminate cells, CC531s were stained with DiO . For TEM and SEM, cells were prepared  and viewed with F. E. I. Tecnai 10 and Philips SEM 505. For time lapse recordings, cells were recorded up to 1 hr. Cells were cultured in medium only and/or with an antagonistic antibody against FasL (20 micrograms/ml).
In conclusion: CC531s cells can induce apoptosis in LSECs and and antagonistic antibody against FasL abrogates this apoptosis.
- Pinkoski MJ, Brunner T, Green DR, Lin T: Fas and Fas ligand in gut and liver. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2000, 278: G354-G366.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mann B, Gratchev A, Bohm C, Hanski ML, Foss HD, Demel G, Trojanek B, I Schmidt-Wolf, Stein H, Riecken EO, Buhr HJ, Hanski C: FasL is more frequently expressed in liver metastases of colorectal cancer than in matched primary carcinomas. Br J Cancer. 1999, 79: 1262-1269. 10.1038/sj.bjc.6690202.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Braet F, De Zanger R, Sasaoki T, Baekeland M, Janssens P, Smedsr–d B, Wisse E: Assessment of a method of isolation, purification and cultivation of rat liver sinusoidal endothelial cells. Lab Invest. 1994, 70: 944-952.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hoorens A, Van de Casteele M, Kloppel G, Pipeleers D: Glucose promotes survival of rat pancreatic beta cells by activating synthesis of proteins which suppress a constitutive apoptotic program. J Clin Invest. 1996, 98: 1568-1574. 10.1172/JCI118950.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Timmers M, Vermijlen D, Vekemans K, Wisse E, Braet F: Tracing DiO-labeled tumor cells in liver sections by confocal laser scanning microscopy. J Microsc. 2002, 208: 65-74. 10.1046/j.1365-2818.2002.01063.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Braet F, De Zanger R, Wisse E: Drying cells for SEM, AFM and TEM by hexamethyldisilazane: a study on hepatic endothelial cells. J Microsc. 1997, 186: 84-87. 10.1046/j.1365-2818.1997.1940755.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kebers F, Lewalle JM, Desreux J, Munaut C, Devy L, Foidart JM, Noel A: Induction of endothelial cell apoptosis by solid tumor cells. Exp Cell Res. 1998, 240: 197-205. 10.1006/excr.1998.3935.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yoong KF, Afford SC, Randhawa S, Hubscher SG, Adams DH: Fas/Fas ligand interaction in human colorectal hepatic metastases: A mechanism of hepatocyte destruction to facilitate local tumor invasion. Am J Pathol. 1999, 154: 693-703.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.